Green Glass 2

Welcome to my blog!

I am looking at life through a green glass...
____________________________________________________________________________

Monday, November 27, 2006

Some feelings about Saigon Open City

"Saigon is now an open city as it was 300 years ago". These are the words of Mr. Nguyen Quan, an art writer in Saigon. It is also the name of the special, unique and first appear exhibition about contemporary art: "Saigon Open City". I had chance to attend a meeting on Monday with all directors, curators and some artists of this events. My initial feeling is actually not good when I saw the small building and the disorder there. However, some example art works shown here have raised my eagerness again. In the meeting, directors, curators and artists here have told about difficulties which they encountered when setting up the exhibition. The main reason is that the event like this is so new in Vietnam and it took a long time to get used to. I am a Vietnamese too, so I can understand this problem. In my experience, I think that most Vietnamese people do not care about art because they think that art is academic and hard to understand. The things they most think about is how to earn more money because they are not rich. When my friend went to the meeting location, she asked other people here and no one knew about this event. Generally, I think that this is a long process to make Vietnamese people get used to events like this.

About the showroom, I am really impressed when meeting famous artists and curators the first time. All art works here, although hard to understand, still attract me. The name of the first chapter is "Liberation", the process to free yourself.

The meaning of Liberation can be perceived differently by other people in different context. There are always many ways and questions to answer.

The way they arrange texts and images is also very special and I really eager to see these art works in the main events next Sunday. However, I wish I have more time to read and understand or perceive the contents of these art works.
I am also intriqued by the ONOCHORD of Mrs. Yonoko with the message of love : "I LOVE YOU" but I can not understand. Somebody can help me please.
I hope in the next two chapters, they will fix the problem and make it really become an International Contemporary art exhibition of Vietnam.

1 Comments:

  • Dear Vo Anh Tuan,
    we would like to thank for your personal interest in our project. Your entry and some of your classmates have been published in http://socsos.blogspot.com
    You're welcomed to SOC space to take a look more enjoyable atmosphere. If you'd like to visit our exhibition in Fine Arts Museum (that the People's Committee hasn't give license to open for visitors), I would arrange my time to guild you guys there, since i'm the one who can access without permission.
    Best,
    Arlette Quynh-Anh Tran

    By Blogger Saigonese Wanderer - Greifswalder Sleeper - Berliner Jumper, at 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home