Green Glass 2

Welcome to my blog!

I am looking at life through a green glass...
____________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Some things about Virtual Urban

Virtual Urban - this is a topic of the recent presentation of my friend, Phuong - is a interesting concept. As an assistant (not a partner) in the preparation of this presentation, I have done some research and been an model for his pictures. Phuong has done an excellent presentation with many supporting sources and images. With the knowledge which I have gained from these resources, I think there is some things in this the presentation which are difficult to understand or misunderstand.
Firstly, he has mentioned the basic principle of a virtual urban city but not explained it clearly . This principle is that the virtual world is bodiless. It means that there is no such a thing like identity in virtual world because body is supposed to be attached to an identity of a person naturally. In the real world, each person has a identity so we can depend on it to adjust our behaviours. This also creates a problem (or advantage) of virtual world which is we can ignore the identity of an object and then behave in any way we like. It also makes us confused of how to behave or whom we can believe. However, it not means that there is no restriction. All communities have restrictions. Even in game there are some rules which we have to follow.
Secondly, in the part of Saigon, a virtual city, Phuong said that everyone can become a character which they like, such as a street food seller, a doll... This is a point which I can not understand and I want to discuss about this with Phuong. In my opinion, the virtual side of Saigon city, or any other big cities, is that it includes a lot of strangers. When we are travelling around the city, we are often blind. We do not see or recognize other people around us or, in other words, we do not care about their identity and it becomes the principle of virtual urban. Virtual side in Saigon is also reflected through the religious aspect. Phuong has taken a picture of Lenny praying in front of Duc Ba church but he has thrown it away that I can't understand why. Phuong also said that some workers getting angry with theirs boss go to somewhere and hit a replicant of boss to release their stress. This is the proof that feelings are also the element of virtual urban because we can not avoid getting involved with feelings when living in a big city like Saigon. I think virtual world exists in the brain of each person, each object and religious and feelings are some of them.
These are only some thought which I have from the presentation not a critique. So I hope my friend will not blame me.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home